Tuesday, 7 December 2010

Education

Here's a conversation.

Dad: Is there something that makes you upset today?
Me: Yes, I don't want to study anymore.
Dad: (sarcastically) Then what? Just work after graduation?
Me: Yes, I will.
After a while...
Dad: Is it the presentation that upsets you?
Me: No, I never wanted to study.
Dad: Sigh...

For education, I have always felt so ambivalent. On one hand, I believe in education that makes us more cultured, knowledgeable and skilled in coping with life events.

However there're many examples that suggest that one can lead an adorable life without education. Let's just ignore the extreme cases of the celebrities. I just learnt from a friend that his friend, at the same age as I do, has just bought a flat. After graduating from secondary school, he became a violin teacher, and gradually saved up so much to pay for downpayment. So my friend was quite down, and sadly so was I. I didn't know what to say to comfort him.

In the end, do we just need the degree itself?

No comments:

Post a Comment