Friday, 26 November 2010

Secrets

Is it a must that we share everything with our close ones? Or put it this way? Can we do that? I can't, especially when the thing deals with my perceptions and thoughts.

I think when I anticipated negative consequences for telling, these things should be kept secretive. Sometimes it can be detrimental to be straight-forward. When you hold a different point of view, and you bring it to discussion directly, it often leads to conflicts. Maybe I'm a peace-lover, or in worse words, an avoider. But anyway, there're too many issues that remain unresolved (69% of heterosexual couples, on average). It would be too straining for me to tackle them all. So most of the time I keep quiet, but the slogans of "we share everything!", etc impose a social norm on me that it's obligatory to tell.

In this postmodern era (where there is a belief that objective observation is not enough), human beings learn to appreciate individual differences. Why don't we just leave the differences in terms of stances in issues, personal opinions, etc aside, and focus on something that we have in common? Well, of course sometimes it gets painful to keep things to oneself, but humans are different from other animals that they know how to self-regulate right?

Recently I'm so obsessed with Taylor Swift's "Haunted". The song starts with "you and I walk a fragile line". I suppose it happens in most interpersonal relationships. Don't break it. Take protective measures.

No comments:

Post a Comment